(This article applies to the charging docks supplied with Olives Pre July-2018)
CAUTION: PLEASE ONLY ATTEMPT THIS PROCEDURE IF YOU'RE FAMILIAR WITH ELECTRONICS AND SOLDERING.
(If not, please bear with us as we consider other work-around options.)
We are truly sorry that the Olive won't turn on/charge. We didn't anticipate Olives would spend so much time in transit, due to which the battery in the charging dock drained past the point-of-no-return, hence the dock doesn't work. The good news is that we have developed a work-around to solve the issue. The solution unfortunately renders the cradle as a charger, instead of a portable back-up battery as it was originally intended. We clearly know this is not for everyone, so please bear with us as we develop other work-around options.
The Olive Union Team would like to specially thank: Frederik Durieux, Roy Emmerich, Doug Bank, James Potts and Boris Kosloff for helping our community find a solution. We are lucky to have you as backers.
Please follow the steps below:
Olive cradle battery bypass work-around:
You will need:
- Small screw-driver
- Soldering Iron
- A little bit of solder
- A small piece of thin cable (30 mm/1.2 in)
1. Unplug the cradle from the USB cable and remove the Olive.
2. Carefully pry the four (4) edges of the cradle bottom cover to remove it.
3. Unplug the battery and varistor. Remove the 4 screws using a screwdriver.
4. Remove the cradle PCB from the plastic parts.
5. Strip the 30mm cable tips' 2mm as shown.
7. Insert the PCB back into the cradle. Push every screw-point until you hear a light click. Re-insert screws.
8. Test it out. Plug in the cradle USB cable and insert the Olive. It should start the glowing LED charging sequence (7a). The Olive will indicate a full charge by turning the LED off. The Olive internal charging circuit will stop the current draw when the charging is concluded (7b).
Note (Update 10/11/17):
This is how the Olive's LED charging glowing sequence looks like:
Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the work-around by posting a comment here.
Olive Union Support & Engineers